"Ozone Really Does Work in Laundry Applications"
Dr. Sheila Baker, Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering at the University of Missouri-Columbia, scientifically examined the technology behind the Oxidize It™ Detergent-Less Laundry Solution. In her paper, Report On Ozone Laundry Systems, Dr. Baker finds that “Ozone does work for removing stains,” examining how it works, its effectiveness, as well as the threefold benefits of ozone. Below are excerpts from that report.
How Ozone Works
Benefits of Ozone
About Dr. Sheila Baker
Sheila Baker is a professor in the Chemical Engineering Department at the University of Missouri. Her research is focused on designing task-specific ionic liquid systems, nanomaterials and their hybrids for clean energy applications. She is working on developing novel nanofluids designed for efficient and reversible carbon dioxide capture from flue gas. Her research also includes the development of designer ionic liquids as electrolytes and novel nanomaterial components for photovoltaic, battery and capacitor applications. In addition to these aims, another topic being pursued in her labs involves environmental sensors and studies of the impact of nanomaterials on the environment.
- Rice, R. G.; DeBrum, M.; Cardis, D.; Tapp, C., The ozone laundry handbook: A comprehensive guide for the proper application of ozone in the commercial laundry industry. Ozone: Science and Engineering 2009, 31 (5), 339-347.
- Von Gunten, U., Ozonation of drinking water: Part I. Oxidation kinetics and product formation. Water Research 2003, 37 (7), 1443-1467.
- Hamilton Gordon, A.; Ribner Bruce, S.; Hellman Thomas, M., The Mechanism of Alkane Oxidation by Ozone. In Oxidation of Organic Compounds, AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY: 1968; Vol. 77, pp 15-25.
- Von Gunten, U., Ozonation of drinking water: Part II. Disinfection and by-product formation in presence of bromide, iodide or chlorine. Water Research 2003, 37 (7), 1469-1487.
- Eren, H. A.; Ozturk, D., The evaluation of ozonation as an environmentally friendly alternative for cotton preparation. Textile Research Journal 2011, 81 (5), 512-519.
- DEL Ozone Laundry Saves Hotel $9,000 a Year. http://www.environmentalleader.com/2012/10/17/del-ozone-laundry-saves-hotel-9000-a-year / (accessed April 14, 2013).
- Cardis, D.; Tapp, C.; DeBrum, M.; Rice, R. G., Ozone in the laundry industry – Practical experiences in the United Kingdom. Ozone: Science and Engineering 2007, 29 (2), 85-99.
- Rice, R. G.; DeBrum, M.; Hook, J.; Cardis, D.; Tapp, C., Economic and environmental benefits of ozone in ozone laundering systems. Ozone: Science and Engineering 2009, 31 (5), 348-356.